Thursday, February 3, 2011

Holden

  The passage I chose is from page 52, the last paragraph of 8:
  "'Sleep tight, ya morons!' I'll bet I woke up every bastard on whole the floor.  Then I got the hell out.  Some stupid guy had thrown peanut shells all over the sairs, and I damn near broke my crazy neck."
  I chose this passage because it shows what kind of person Holden is.  It shows that, eventhough he is leaving and hates Pensey, he wants to draw attention to himself and make sure everyone knows he's leaving.  That says a lot about a person's character.
  I think that Salinger is trying to make the point that teens can be self-centered and live in the moment at times.  For instane, Holden didn't stop to think what one of the other boys could do to him after waking up the whole floor, or that a teacher might be just around the corner or down the stairs.  Nope, instead he made sure everyone knew that he was out of there and wanted to to leave with a bang! 

No comments:

Post a Comment