Thursday, January 27, 2011

Where are you going? Where have you been?

So, the reading ("Where are you going? Where have you been?") was rather intense!  For those who haven't had the honor of reading it, it is about a fifteen-year-old girl named Connie, who is sort of narcissistic and thinks that her mother is oblivious to what she does when she goes out with her friends. 
While I read this story, I started to really find some of the occurrences strange and creepy.  For starters, the man driving car has his name painted across the side along with several strange sayings and quotes painted elsewhere.  He also has for numbers (33, 19, and 17) painted on his car and getting smaller as the go.  He talks to Connie as if he is trying to be her friend and she continues to notice how wierd he looks.  Enough on him though!
Connie is a character in and of herself.  Her actions annoy me and cause me ask what does she think she's doing.  One thing that I found particularly annoying was when she went out of her house and engaged the men to begin with.  Then, once realizing that they probably were not safe for her to be around, she reentered her house, but only locked her screen door.  I wondered at this point, why she didn't lock the "storm" door.  I was also curious about how she composed herself the night before.  Her choices during that night could have ended with horrible results.  Her friend and her crossed the busy highway instead of staying at the mall, they then went to a restaurant with the intended purpose to find boys, and then Connie left her friend, alone and the counter, for a complete stranger.  She continued to go with this boy to his car and drive off.  While walking to their car, she sees the men who would come to her house the next day, and made eye contact with them and then gave them a second glance.
By the time I finished reading "Where are you going? Where have you been?" I could honestly say that I was officially freaked out by what happened to Connie and annoyed by her actions.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Connie is so narcissistic, and she makes the worst decisions! However, I couldn't say I was annoyed at her as much as worried. Though the story is an older one, I pictured her as a freshman of today. How did you imagine her?

    Did you think she made any good decisions? Did you like the story? I liked how you summarized her choices, but I think you could add a few things you liked about it. Yet you write to the point! That is really refreshing.

    ~M.J.

    ReplyDelete