When I was little, my family was confronted by harsh times. We found out that my dad needed a transplant or wouldn't live to see Christmas that year. Six months later, he got the call that the hospital had the organ he needed and that we had to get there quickly. So we left, and almost 24-hours later my dad was in recovery. The days that followed were filled with ups and downs, times of joy and times of sadness. But the day finally came and we were able to go back home. Oh, how I wish I could say that that was it, but unfortunately, or fortunately, the rest of my life would be filled with trips to the hospital for my dad's yearly check-ups and whenever he got sick. Because of the medications he was on after his transplant, his immune system was extremely weakened, so he was in the hospital quite a bit. I learned ways to cope with this though! One way was that my sister and I mastered the staff hallways at the hospital and could get almost anywhere in it just by memory. We also got good at memorizing the nurses' names and where to get free drinks/food, and when it was okay to raid the nurses' satation for candy.
This experience taught me that life throws us curve balls every once in a while, but how you handle them is what makes us unique. Also, I faced the true fear of watching a loved one get sicker and sicker infornt of you and feeling helpless, and then saw the miracles that can happen when you least expect them.
No comments:
Post a Comment